In the present day world, Selenium is the most widely used test automation tool for testing web based applications and many of its advantages helped this tool to win the race, leaving behind many of the competitors. Selenium can be integrated with many other tools and IDEs to enhance its functionalities and making it more user friendly.
Here in this chapter we will discuss about configuring selenium webdriver with Eclipse. Eclipse is an integrated development environment which is the most widely used Java IDE. It has a work space and there are many plugins to customize the environment. This is a free and open source software and there is no license fee.
Configuring Selenium Webdriver with Eclipse
Configuration of selenium webdriver with Eclipse includes a few easy to perform steps.
In order to start Eclipse, first you should double click on “eclipse.exe”. When you do it for the first time, you will be asked to specify the “Work Space” where you will store all your works.
Create a Work Space
Now you need to create a work space. A work space is very much similar as “My Documents” in Windows operating system, a place or folder to store all your works. However, there is no need to limit to just one work space, you can create more but this not not required. Once the workspace folder is selected, Eclipse will get opened with a welcome window.
Create a New Project
The step after creating the workspace is to create a new project. Project is the next smallest thing in Eclipse after workspace. It can be created with a few simple steps.
- Click on the “File” in Eclipse menu and go to “New” and then to “Projects”
- Select “Java Project” then click “Next”
- Provide a name for the project and click on “Finish” button
- If a warning popup window appears click on “Yes”.
Create a New Package
- Right click on the project name and select “New” and then “Package”
- Give a name to the package and click on “Finish”
Create a New Class
- Right click on the package and then select “New” and then “Class”
- Give a name to the class
- Check on the option “Public Static Void Main” and then click on “Finish” button